19 July, 2012

Renaissance and Baroque Churches

Today we went to a lot of churches.. A lot.. Or that's how it felt anyway. In fact I'm pretty sure I don't remember all of their names, but I'll try to look them up as I go. We met in Piazza Navona to study the Four Rivers Fountain. I was hoping we would be able to go inside the church that is right next to it, but by the end of the day I was glad we didn't. 
Piazza Navona, where the Stadium of Domitian was.
The Baroque church dedicated to St. Agnes.
The Obelisk that tops the fountain.
A horse inside the Fountain.
This little girl was actually drawing the
horse, and doing an amazing job.
The River Nile, covering its head because
they didn't know where it started.
Italian Senate House.
Guards out front.
A chandelier inside.
Basilica di Sant'Agostino.
The light streaming into these churches was beautiful.
A shrine to Mary that expecting women pray to for
healthy, problem-free deliveries.
Then they bring votive offerings and pictures of their babies.
It's stories like these that make
 me love Catholics and Italians.
This church is so Baroque it almost hurts to look at.
This is Maria del Popolo.
More Groin Vaults and some Bernini Sculptures.
Smaller side altars.
Honestly, I'm not writing much today because I just finished my research paper about Brunelleschi's dome last night and I'm really, really tired. So tired in fact that I'm planning on going to bed at 9 or 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment